DEPARTMENT OF FORENSIC MEDICINE
Department of Forensic Medicine, Govt, Thiruvarur Medical College, Thiruvarur was upgraded in the year 2010.
The department of Forensic Medicine carry out the Academic activities for undergraduate students.
This department carries out medico legal activities of major parts of Thiruvarur and also from other districts.
Cases of medico legal nature are referred from sessions and Magistrate courts.
- Medical law and ethics
- Procedure of medico legal autopsy
- Death and its cause
- Post mortem changes
- Pathology of injuries
- Medico legal aspects of injuries
- Asphyxial deaths
- Examination of cluster of bones
- Age estimation by Radiological examination
- Sexual jurisprudence
- Examination of victims and accused in sexual offence cases.
- The students of 1st MBBS are divided into 2 batches. Theory and practical classes are conducted by all teaching faculty of the department.
- Seminars and group discussions involving participation of students are conducted every month
- Periodic Internal Assessment tests both in theory and practical’s and viva voce are conducted. A minimum of 5-6 internal assessment tests are conducted throughout the year
- A model theory & practical examination is conducted prior to the University examination in the month of July.
- The academic progress and attendance detail of each student is communicated to the parents in the months of December and June every year.
There are 100 books and 40 journals in the Departmental library. The undergraduates and the faculty are benefited by the books and journals available in the library.
There is a museum for undergraduate
- 100 Mounted Specimens
- 45 Bones
- 40 Weapons
- 30 poisons
- 35 Charts/Diagrams
- X-rays 100
Medico Legal Services:
Medico legal Activities:
- Conducting Autopsies on the Medico Legal Cases sent for Post Mortem by the investigating Police Officers and the Executive Magistrates.
- Conducting Autopsies on the ‘Exhumation Cases’ as requested by the Executive Magistrates.
- Examining the Sexual Offence Cases sent by the courts law and issue of the necessary certificates.
- Examining the cases sent by the Courts of Law and issue of the necessary Age Certificates.
- Conducting spot Post Mortems as and when the conditions warrant, as per the request of the investigating Police Officers.
- Examining and issuing Certificates for the ‘Autopsy Specimens’ sent from the various postmortem centers such as the Upgraded Primary Health Centers, Taluk Head Quarters Hospitals and the District Head Quarters Hospital of the same and nearby Districts.
- Examining the Documents of investigation and issuing the Expert Opinions on the Documents sent from various investigating officers and the Judiciary
- Visiting the Scenes of crimes in complicated cases as per the request of the investigating Police Officers, and incorporating the findings in the relevant Medico Legal Documents.
- Examination of the Documents from the Investigating officers of prohibition and enforcement wing and Narcotics wing and issue of relevant ‘Toxicity Certificates”
- Preparing, dispatching and maintaining the Medico Legal and Administrative Records and the Documents of the department
- Appearing in the Courts of Law, on receipt of the summons from the courts of law for deposing evidence in the Autopsy cases, Sexual offence cases, Age Examination cases, Toxicity cases, Specimen Examination certificates and Expert Opinions.
In the institute of Forensic Medicine, we are conducting autopsies in all medico legal cases which includes unnatural deaths, suspicious deaths, unidentified bodies. We conduct about 400autopsies on an average per year.
We have an ideal mortuary with
Cold storage facilities:
- Post mortem dissection rooms and
- Dissection tables with adequate ventilation, lighting, exhaust, running water supply, proper drainage facilities and also a gallery to accommodate 75 students capacity gallery.
Cold Storage- 24 bodies capacity.