|::Departments : Non-Clinical : Pathology|
DEPARTMENT OF PATHOLOGY
The Department of pathology was established in the year 2010.Since then, there has been a constant and steady endeavour to provide quality based services to the patients and high quality education to the students in the realm of pathology. The Department holds the following posts: One Professor, 3 Associate Professors,3 Assistant Professors and 5 Tutors.
The Department of pathology provides services in four important areas.
1.General pathology :
The large specimens and biopsies received from all departments like surgery,orthopaedics,neurosurgery,ophthalmology and ENT are categorised under this section.
The large specimens and biopsies received from the department of gynecology are categorised under this section.
The hematology department receives requests for complete blood count, peripheral smears and base line investigations from all departments. The central lab is equipped with 3 sysmex hematology automatic analysers and one coagulation analyser.
4.Cytology(Fine needle aspiration cytology and exfoliative cytology).
Fine needle aspiration cytology is performed in the central laboratory. Exfoliative and fluid cytology specimens are received and reported in the department.
5.Specimens formPeripheral Hospital
The Department of pathology also receives specimens and biopsies from peripheral hospitals located around Thiruvarur District like Nagapatinam, Mayiladuthurai,Mannargudi,Kudavasal and Nannilam.
TURN AROUND TIME(TAR):
As a part of quality assurance, the reports for various specimens and biopsies are issued as early as possible with one assistant professor deputed for each of the four sections. The turn around time is the time interval between the receipt of the specimen and issue of a good quality report. For General pathology and gynaecological pathology, the time includes the processing of the specimens and varies between 5-7 days. For Hematology investigations, the reports are issued on the same day. For cytology, the reports are issued on the next or subsequent day.
||FLUID and GYNEC CYTOLOGY
Imparting education is the key to the knowledge and bright future of the enthusiastic students. The academic activities are designed as per the syllabus guidelines of the The TamilNadu MGR Medical university,Chennai.
One hour classes on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday of each week.
One hour classes on Tuesday and Wednesday of each week. Seminars/symposia/viva voce are also conducted for the benefit of students every month to improve their communication skills. Internal assessment tests are conducted every month. The performance of students are communicated to the parents every 3 months.
The DMLT courses were started afresh in the year 2017 and the first batch passed out this year 2019.The syllabus is designed as per the guidelines from the Board of paramedical education,The King Institute of preventive medicine & Research, Guindy, Chennai. The two year course comprises of two batches of students. Both theory and practical classes are conducted on Mondays and Wednesdays by the assistant professors.
BLOOD BANK SERVICES:
- The only govt.Blood Bank[ Licence No.315/28-C ] in Tiruvarur District – Mother Blood Bank serving GTMCH & all Blood Storage Centres of GOVERNMENT HOSPITALS & Primary Health Centres including Private hospitals
||TOTAL BLOOD UNITS COLLECTION
||TOTAL BLOOD UNITS ISSUED
14-06-2018 : WBDD 2018 Celebrations :Public Awareness Rally inaugurated by The District Collector, Thiruvarur ; Valedictory Function to Regular Voluntary Blood Donors of the year ; Voluntary Blood Donation Camp ; CME session.
- Blood Collection,Storage &processing of Whole Human Blood : Upgraded as Blood Component Separator Unit(BCSU) on 17-11-2017.
- Nodal Blood Bank Training Centre for the Medical Officers,StaffNurses,Lab Technicians in Thiruvarur District.
- Academic activities - Theory& Practical Classes to Final Year MBBS,CRRI & DMLTStudents.
- June 14th celebrated as WORLD BLOOD DONOR DAYevery year in the district organized by Blood Bank,GTMCH&TANSACS .
- GTMC-BDC Inauguration : 12.06.18
- October 1st Celebrated as National Voluntary Blood Donor day- every year.
- As a Special mention : We have done a preoperative autologous blood donation for a rare Bombay O blood group to an Ortho Case Femur # successfully.
16.02.18 : RECENT ADVANCES IN TRANSFUSION MEDICINE
- TOPIC 1 : BLOOD COMPONENT THERAPY
- TOPIC 2 : TRANSFUSION REACTIONS
- TOPIC 3 : TRANSFUSION TRIGGERS
19.02.18 : “BASICS & ADVANCES IN TRANSFUSION MEDICINE ”
TRANSFUSION MEDICINE - PILLAR OF MODERN MEDICINE
- DR. N. RAJAKUMAR , MBBS.,DCP,FCIP.
PROFESSOR & HEAD- Transfusion medicine,
Govt. Stanley Medical College & Hospital, Chennai
- Dr. B. LATHA M.D. (Transfusion Medicine)
- TOPIC 2 : DO’S AND DON'TS IN TRANSFUSION MEDICINE
Senior Assistant Professor, Transfusion medicine,
Kilpauk Medical College & Hospital, Chennai